Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Use Total Body Exercise for Your Total Body Workout!

Literally as I am writing this post I am shaking as my muscles are still trembling from this workout!

We already know the importance of performing total body resistance workouts 3x per week for maximal fat loss. But if you are looking for the fastest fat loss possible, then crank up the intensity and calorie burn by performing total body exercises within your total body workouts.

For example, the finisher today is a 1-arm kettlebell squat to press. Every 30 s I switched arms and performed max reps for 5 straight minutes. Yep, that's right, 5 minutes of straight squatting, not to mention the fact my upper body was involved on the shoulder presses. In addition, my core had to work extra hard to stabilize the uneven loading as only 1 arm was holding the kettlebell at a time.

This is the definition of a total body exercises: my lower body, upper body, AND core were involved the whole time for probably one of the most taxing finishers I have ever done. I laid on the floor screaming "MOMMY!" for about 5 minutes after I was done as I proceeded to trench crawl to the bench where my water bottle was sitting.

Think I'm full of it? Well you wouldn't be the first, ha ha!

Check out my workout for today:

Pre-Workout A- 5 minutes

Station#1- 5 minutes: Tabata Double-Leg Lower Body

Straights sets of the following bilateral knee-dominant exercise:

Single-Exercise- Squat Variation @ DB Squat-to-Press

Station#2- 5 minutes: Tabata Upper Body (Push-Pull)

Alternating sets of the following vertical push-pull exercises:

Exercise#1- Dip Variation @ Parallel Bar Dips
Exercise#2- Pull-up Variation @ Chin-ups (moved to negatives when could no longer perform the lifting)

Station#3- 5 minutes: Tabata Single-Leg Lower Body

Straights sets of the following unilateral hip-dominant exercise:

Single-Exercise- Single-Leg Hip Extension Variation (alternate legs every set) @ Single-Leg SHELC (SB Hip Extension Leg Curl)

Station#4- 5 minutes: Tabata Core

Straight sets of the following core lateral stabilization exercise:

Single-Exercise: Side Pillar Variation (switch sides every set) @ DB Side Pillar Reach and Rotate

Finisher A- “30-30’s”

Exercise#1- Total Body: 1-Arm Kettlebell Squat to Press- Left Arm @ max reps for 30 s with 0 s rest and transition

Exercise#2- Total Body: 1-Arm Kettlebell Squat to Press- Right Arm @ max reps for 30 s with 0 s rest and transition

Perform this 1-minute round 5x for 5 total minutes

Post-Workout- 5 minutes

YOU KNOW YOU LOVE TABATAS ;)

Crank it!

BJ

http://www.workoutmuse.com